Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Wines of the World and other Wines topics.
Five great Cabernets to look for, according to Wine Spectator Magazine:
1. Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, Special Selection, 1990 or 1998, cost is $75. Smooth, plush, rich and concentrated, with a long, full finish.
2. Flora Springs Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Reserve, 1991 or 1997, cost is $33. Stylish, packing in lots of ripe, rich flavors.
3. St. Clement Oroppas, Napa Valley, 1992 or 1995, cost is $25. A solid wine with a rich core of flavors. Finishes with a long, full, rich aftertaste.
4. Groth Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Reserve, 1990 or 1994, cost is $45. Distinctive and has a lot of personality. It finishes with a broad range of flavors and firm but supple tannins.
5. Guenoc Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Beckstoffer Vineyard Reserve, 1991 or 1994, cost is $35. Young and a bit austere at first, but it is well focused and concentrated. Shows a measure of finesse and restraint.
Top five best value Cabernets:
1. Shenandoah Cabernet Sauvignon, Amador County, 1992 or 1988, cost is $10. Bright, juicy flavors and nice finish.
2. Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County Domaine du Grand Archer, 1992 or 1987, cost is $9.50. Firm and intense, with a good dose of smoky, toasty oak up front.
3. Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon, California, 1992 or 1987, cost is $9.50. Ripe and fruity, with a pretty array of flavors. Finishes with mild tannins.
4. Lakespring Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1990 or 1987, cost is $10. Firm and chewy, showing a solid beam of flavor shining through the thick veil of tannin.
5. E&J Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County Gallo Sonoma, 1990 or 1986, cost is $10. Here's a few more great Cabernets for $10 or less: - Monterey Peninsula Cabernet Sauvignon, Monterey County, 1986 or 1984, cost is $10. A mature Cabernet, with supple herb and currant notes that pick up a chocolate edge on the finish.
6. Mount Konocti Cabernet Sauvignon, Lake County Kelsey, 1992 or 1984, cost is $10. Young and still a bit grapey, not to mention firmly tannic. - Napa Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, Central Coast Oak Barrel, 1991 or 1984, cost is $8. Supple and generous, with pretty flavors. Mildly tannic.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|